Friday 14 September 2018

[cobirds] Re: Pine Warbler (?), CSR, El Paso Co, Fri

Steve,
Great job, and thank you for sharing these great photos. Helps us all think harder.
I'm not too familiar with Pine W. in fall from my time East (e.g., eye-ring articulation not too pronounced). Thus, a couple details here make me think Blackpoll. Definitely not Orange-crowned or Tennessee from tail length, undertail coverts, and some other structural things. 
Great job!
Thank you for sharing all your hard work with us birders!
Steve Getty, Colo Spgs



On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 1:31:04 PM UTC-6, Steve wrote:
Hey COBirders,

It was hot and still banding at Clear Spring Ranch this morning. Like others, I TRIED to close early for the heat, but had a large wave of Wilson's Warblers and Lincoln's Sparrows come in at 10:30. Included with them was a mystery warbler.  42 birds banded, including Mountain White-crowned, Lincoln's, Lark, Vesper, Song, Chipping, Clay-colored, and Brewer's Sparrows, and a juv F Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

At first, from a distance,  I thought the warbler was Orange-crowned, because of the face - but it had bright white undertails - so maybe Tennessee?? But it was way too big.  Best match I could find was imm. male  Pine Warbler, but I am not sure, so I am posting these photos for others to weigh-in. (below)


Feet look yellow, but I didn't get the impression of bright yellow legs and feet like commonly seen on a Blackpoll, just lighter on the underside.
Wing Length 75mm, Tail 52mm - which is a stretch for F Blackpoll, but fits for M Pine.
I think the undertail looks longer than is usual for a Blackpoll, maybe more overall like Pine.
Overall color looked pretty bright to me, so I thought M Pine. Outer primary coverts look edged, but narrow, so I thought Imm male. Not much white in the tail… more like Pine?

Ok, so what do the experts think?  I am open to interpretations.

Thanks, 
Steve Brown
Colo SPgs


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/f0a35362-6fa6-4845-8496-13d03801f185%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment