Wednesday 19 September 2018

[cobirds] Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Yard, Jefferson County

Hi all,

I have gotten very short, bad looks at a Ruby-throated Hummingbird in my yard for the last 2 days. I believe it is an immature but, again I am not getting the best looks. I have been in and out a bunch, which has not helped. It is not an adult male. I've had females and males in my yard, fall time, which sat longer at the feeders. The bird has a notched tail, emerald green upperparts[except for the crown which is duller ], very white underparts, which got my attention immediately when the bird flew. There is no tail wagging like in a Black-chinned, and the bird has a very blackish lore area, with dark auriculars. The primary #10 tip is narrowed. When the bird is perched, the tail is longer than the wingtips.


As of right now, there are 4, Broad-tailed Hummingbirds, 1, Rufous and the Ruby-throated[I grew up with these hummingbirds, when I was younger, living back in Conn].


After I complained about all the dominant Rufous in my yard, immature Calliope finally showed up [1-2 a day for 2 and a half weeks]. I was so glad to see Calliope after I had had so few the last 2 years.

,

As usual folks are welcome, but I can not promise the bird will be here. Park on the west side of, 4400 Bow Mar Dr. and walk up driveway. Chairs are in the backyard and in the frontyard where feeders are. Lighting is best in the back of the house, from 8:30-10, and 2-3:30pm. Lighting is best in the front, from 9am-5pm. Please leave me a phone message [303-906-5479] as to what time you plan on stopping by, or leave me an email. I will try to be around but my schedule is pretty inconsistent. I will update my sightings of this bird.


Happy Birding and Good luck!

Tina Jones

Littleton, Jefferson County, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment