Wednesday 19 September 2018

[cobirds] Pueblo Reservoir, Pueblo Co. 9/19 (jaegers and more)

Quite a few interesting birds were around Pueblo Reservoir this morning, for a little while, then seemed to have disappeared.  

I spotted a jaeger on the water far out from South Shore Marina at Pueblo Reservoir, that didn't look like the Long-tailed, I had seen last week.  I thought, well it must be it, though then I spotted the juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger (which has been around for a week), out from the tires  at South Shore Marina.  So, I then re-looked at the other jaeger, and it was still out there, so there were TWO jaegers!  The far away jaeger looked darker.  I watched it in the scope sitting on the water for like 20 minutes, and finally it flew right toward me, I quickly realized this is not another Long-tailed Jaeger, then it found some terns and gulls to chase around, and flew off over the dam, this bird turned out to be a Parasitic Jaeger!  The terns presents were mostly Common Terns, with a few Forster's and later one Black Tern.  Late on Bill Maynard and I saw a first year Lesser Black-backed Gull and seven Red-necked Phalarope were swimming out in the middle of the Reservoir.  We also had a flyby Baird's Sandpiper and two American Avocets all from near the South Shore Marina.

Below the dam, near Snakeskin Picnic Area, at Lake Pueblo State Park, I saw a western race Palm Warbler, my first one in Colorado since 2015!

It was a pretty fun couple of hours, lucky a couple other birders got to see a few of the birds mentioned above.  Both jaegers seemed to be missing mid-day, however.

--
Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CA%2BXeEuWfL1V4yyjdXcV0Wh14fuaKxK6sZXD_y-sHN%2BCPGtqdUg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment