Tuesday 25 September 2012

[cobirds] Ruby-throated Hummingbird and Reddish Egret in Bent County

Birders,

I had an immature male Ruby-throated Hummingbird at my feeder in Las Animas today. Birders are welcome to look, as long as they contact me first.

I've been cloistered in my home office finalizing my annual report. I got a third-hand report today of a Reddish Egret at Lake Hasty below the dam at John Martin Reservoir. While checking in at the Corps of Engineers office at Caddoa, I stopped to scan Lake Hasty. A very cooperative sub-adult dark-morph Reddish Egret was on the gravel beach in the southeast corner of the reservoir, between the swim beach and the Hasty Bridge over the Arkansas River.

The US Army Corps of Engineers is sponsoring a work day on Saturday, September 29th for National Public Lands Day. I am coordinating a project to pull emergent weeds from a large area of beach on the most important nest site Colorado has for Least Terns and Piping Plovers. This year, three Piping Plover pairs nested on the beach we restored for the last National Public Lands Day, and they fledged eight young, so this is a project that matters. The USACE will furnish water and catered lunches for people that volunteer early, along with some meaningful giveaways.

We will meet at the Corps HQ shortly before 9 a.m. and work until noon. Believe me, three hours of pulling cockleburs, Russian thistle, and other weeds will seem like long enough. If you want to truly make a difference, and feel a sense of ownership for Colorado's rarest birds, let me know. I'd love to hear from you. I'd recommend heavy leather gloves.

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment