Saturday 29 September 2012

[cobirds] Fremont County - Lewis's Woodpecker and Pinyon Jays

Today – driving back from Canon City; my wife and I had a Lewis’s Woodpecker 2 miles south of Hwy 50 on CR 9, fly up to a telephone pole.

 

On CR 11, at or near the Fremont/Teller Co line (not really sure where that line is on CR 11, so it could have been in Teller Co) we had 8 Pinyon Jays.

 

Also, as we got home in Teller Co (at 8,500’ in Ponderosa, Doug Fir, Spruce habitat) miles from any water other than the small recirculating pond/stream in my back yard; we had about ~50 Common Grackles making one heckuva racket in the trees around my small artificial pond. They stuck around for an hour and left. While I have had one or two grackles visit me from time to time over the years, certainly the first time for such a group. Specifically, here are the four records of common grackles at my house over 25 years; only 1 each time!

 

04/21/1997 

05/15/1997 

10/01/1997 

04/15/2010 

 

Jeff J Jones

(jjones@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands

 

No comments:

Post a Comment