Saturday 29 May 2021

Re: [cobirds] Yellow Grosbeak - Huerfano County

Good summary! 

Gib will not take a donation for seed, so we took a bag of seed as a thank you. Amazing yard! 

John Maynard
Manitou Springs

Sent from my iPad

On May 29, 2021, at 6:50 PM, Josh Bruening <87211jjb@gmail.com> wrote:

All,

Since it has been amazingly quiet post-wise with regard to the Yellow Grosbeak, I thought I'd share my two-cents.  This bird is awesome.  I've been kicking myself ever since I was unable to chase the Golden-crowned Warbler a few years back and silently vowed that I'd get in the car whenever the next big rarity showed up.  I made that happen today.  I was so amped to see this bird that I slept fitfully and ended up leaving Fort Collins at 315am.  After a quick stop at Chico Basin to kill some time I arrived right at 9am sharp to find I was birder #45?  Seriously, there were 40-50 of us.  I almost felt nervous for the bird.  After a hour of patiently waiting it showed.  And the bird did not disappoint.  Gorgeous!!  After the immediate din of all of our cameras relented, the bird settled in and comfortably hung out on the sunflower feeder for upwards of 10 minutes.  

The homeowner is most gracious and certainly shared in all of our excitement.  So big thanks to Gib and family.  Also, shout out to Brandon P for keeping us all informed on when and how to see this bird.  Let's all respect the opportunity and keep the good vibes goin'.

I wanted to add that my feeling on this bird is that it is a female.  I added my ebird checklist below with photos.  I got a good shot of the head and neck while the bird was on the feeder.  The striping is evident.  Also, I think the mantle and scap feathers in another pic deviate from what they would look like on a male.  The male seems to me to be have super clean yellow on the head, nape and all the way through the mantle to the wing coverts.  I could find no pics of an immature male to make me think otherwise.  So this is my very unsolicited, first time I've ever seen this bird, amateur opinion.  I'd love any feedback if anyone has it on this.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S89204710

Nice to see some familiar faces, put some faces with names, and meet some new birders out there!

Bird is the word!

Josh Bruening
Fort Collins

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/67f63664-f24c-4bf9-96f9-4bbe5f4e5b3bn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment