Wednesday 19 May 2021

[cobirds] Phillips county --- MOTTLED DUCK

COBirders,

There was an apparent MOTTLED DUCK just west of Highway 59 and east of county road 3, along county road 18 in Phillips county late Monday evening.  It was hanging out with some Mallards and a single Wood Duck.  There were some other species there but they were not with the Mottled Duck group. 

I was really just heading to the nearest pavement as the roads in the area are very muddy and some of the roads have been close to impassable.  I had no plans to stop but as I was passing by I noticed a very dark duck standing on the shoreline so I stopped to look.  I took a few quick photos then they all flew.

If you have any desire to come out to look, I just caution that the roads have been extra muddy.  It did dry up yesterday afternoon and there is no rain in the forecast for the area for a couple of days so I think the roads should be much better.  There is a lot of water around with one of the recent rain storms accumulating to over 3 inches in the Fleming area.


Mark Peterson
Colorado Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment