Sunday 26 May 2019

[cobirds] Request for help: Ravens in Prowers County

All:

I write to request help with discerning the occurrence pattern of Common Raven in Prowers County. In my experience, the only ravens that I've seen/heard in Prowers (away from the very southernmost bit by Two Buttes SWA) that I was convinced were Commons -- and not the expected Chihuahuan Raven -- were all in the fall/winter period, a period in which Commons seem to spread out/wander. Additionally, all of my very few definite Common Raven records in the county are from my previous sojourn in the state, so the subsequent 11+ years might have seen a change in the species' occurrence pattern.

Because Prowers and Bent Counties are currently covered by the same eBird filter, and because Common Raven is an expected breeding species in, at least, southern Bent, the filter allows Commons all year in the filter region, thus in Prowers County. As I did not record Common Raven in Prowers in summer in my previous occurrence in the state and I have yet to record it at all in my current sojourn here, I am confused by the eBird record for the species in the county:

https://ebird.org/barchart?r=US-CO-099&bmo=1&emo=12&byr=1900&eyr=2019&spp=comrav

Relevant to the discussion is my essay on raven ID in the In The Scope column in Colorado Birds:


So, I'd appreciate the thoughts of those that have spent time in the county AND paid careful attention to ravens there.  I could use other opinions, because I am in the process of splitting Prowers Co. out of the current filter, and I need to figure out what to do with Common Raven.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Wiley, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/738626592.4188595.1558888660830%40mail.yahoo.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment