Monday 20 February 2017

[cobirds] Yellow-bellied/Red-naped Sapsucker ID help and other findings at Chatfield SP (Douglas)

This morning I visited Chatfield SP. I started by driving to Plum Creek, and a Sage Thrasher was seen perched before I turned right to go to Plum Creek. There were lots of active birds, and the whole trip resulted in 34 species including 4 woodpeckers. The Trumpeter Swan seems to have moved from the ponds to the reservoir, as I saw it from the Heronry Overlook, I would assume it to be the same bird. 
At plum creek, on the way back heading to the parking lot crossing the bridge, I saw a few Wood Ducks at the marshy pond near the bridge. Soon after, I found a Downy woodpecker in a tree in the same area. Then, I came across a Yellow-bellied/Red-naped Sapsucker near the Downy woodpecker. I don't have much experience with sapsuckers, so I was unsure on the exact ID. I was able to take a number of photos, however low in quality but good enough for help in identification. I have a detailed description of the field marks as well as photos on my eBird report if anyone could help me ID this bird. 
It seems most Red-naped Sapsuckers are seen in Aug/Sept in Chatfield/surrounding areas, while many Yellow-bellied are seen in Jan/Feb in the Denver area. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker has not been seen in Chatfield before as far as eBird shows. Let me know what you think, I am leaning more towards Yellow-bellied but I am still unsure. 

eBird report: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34584172 

Thanks,
Thomas Holub, Littleton, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c6e580e0-6b7d-4012-b88e-b19ce4bc83d4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment