Wednesday 17 August 2016

[cobirds] Pine Warbler in Lamar (Prowers)

At Fairmount Cemetery on Memorial Drive in the southeastern part of Lamar (Prowers) yesterday (8/16) I had a very active, very ratty-looking Pine Warbler high in pines at Fairmount Cemetery.  It moved from pine to pine to pine and eventually flew off, apparently to the north.  I would guess it was a first fall bird but it could have been an adult in the middle of pre-basic molt.  Had I not seen a bird like this at this location on about this date several years ago, I would have been hard-pressed for an ID.  Blotches of yellow on the breast amid an otherwise grayish body, weak, wide wingbars, biggish warbler with biggish bill, longish tail, and thought I saw a flash of white in the tail a couple times.  Never gave a great look and definitely not chaseable.


Fairmount also had a robust population of at least 5 Olive-sided Flycatchers, a few pewees, and I heard a couple orioles, presumably Bullock's on the move or at least stirring.


Heard a Northern Cardinal at Lamar Community College Woods while I was collecting Dipogon wasps from cottonwoods south of the tennis courts.


Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment