Saturday 13 August 2016

[cobirds] Calliope's finally Arrive, Jefferson County

Hi all,

This has been the strangest summer for me as far as when the  Calliope Hummingbirds arrived. As I posted earlier, I had up to 3, ad. male Calliope arrive in my yard EARLY, [the first few days of July]. I have had no Calliope Hummingbirds since this time until yesterday. One beautiful late ad. F. CALLIOPE has been in my yard 8/12 and 8/13. I have seen two other ad. females look like her. The bird in my yard has a  central throat spot which is pinkish purple. One f/imm, type Calliope was in my yard yesterday, and today 2, f/imm, type Calliope, along with the ad. f. Calliope, as mentioned above. In years past I get ad. and imm. Calliope by mid July. More imm. should arrive.


Broad-tailed hummingbirds of both sexes are here.


 What has amazed me are all the Rufous I have been getting in the yard. A couple of days there were only Rufous around. The last 2, years I have seen more Rufous in my yard than ever before. I know this specie is on the decline so I'm glad to see the ones I have. Several m. imm. Rufous are battling it out. One late, ad. f. Rufous showed up in my yard 8/10, thinking the yard was to belong only to her. She had a lovely golden spot on her throat.


The hummers are flycatching in my yard a lot of their time. Midges hatch out near my yard and one night I saw  many Dragonflies plowing through the cluster of midges while feeding on them, while one hummer was also catching the insects in the air.


The biggest SURPRISE was seeing a female Mule Deer in my yard yesterday and before.


As of today my hummer numbers are up finally, but it is different every day, and can be different morning to afternoon. If one wants to try to ID F. type Calliope Hummingbirds now is a good time. I told Ira I had no Calliope the other day. Maybe he and Tammy sent me some of their Calliope.


Happy Birding!!!!!!!!!!

Tina Jones

Littleton, Jefferson County, CO.

No comments:

Post a Comment