Tuesday 25 December 2012

[cobirds] Red Rocks today

I dropped in at Red Rocks this morning on the assumption that the snow would bring the rosy-finches, and they showed up right on cue.  I deposited some seed (and apparently someone else had done so earlier) and several dozen immediately appeared, mostly on the rock wall.  The flock was, as usual, predominately gray-crowned, but there were more than average blacks; though they were moving around a lot, I think I had a least a half dozen.  I could find only one brown-capped.  I find it interesting that our only breeder is usually the least abundant of the the three.
 
The golden-crowned sparrow showed up right under the thistle feeder for some nice looks, and all the usual suspects were there in good numbers.  Alas, no redpolls.  Somewhat surprisingly, no mountain chickadees (lots of black-caps) and no nuthatches of any flavor.  Lots of rosies, though, and they hung out until the weddnig party showed up.  I'm not sure who wants to get married standing in the snow (in formal attire, no less) in December, but to each his own, I suppose.
 
Feeling lucky, I decided to take another run at the Iceland gull down at Chatfield, but the reservoir is now frozen solid, and there were no gulls present.  The bald eagles continue, however.
Norm Lewis
migrant44@aol.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment