Sunday 23 December 2012

[cobirds] Re: Hoary Redpoll Larimer ??

In my haste to post the description  of the redpoll, I forgot a crucial detail - the where.  My aapologies.  The Fort Collins Museum of Discovery is on Mason Ct north of the intersection of Mason and Cherry Streets in Fort Collins. Basically, take the Highway 14 exit (269B - Mulberry St.) west towards Laramie WY, follow to Riverside still CO HWY 14, and follow to where it intersects with 287 (College St.), go 1 block north and take a left at light (Cherry). Go 1 block west to Mason and take right (parking right there). Follow the path to north behind museum (west side) and feeders are on east side of trail.  I am hoping someone else can confirm it.
 
Thomas Hall

On Sunday, December 23, 2012 7:25:13 PM UTC-7, COBirds wrote:
I believe that I (we - 2 other birders were present) saw a Hoary Redpoll at the Disvovery Center at 10:50 for about 5 minutes.  About 50 Common Redpolls were present when the gal said there is a really white one.  We all looked at it and it was obvious without binocs which one she was talking about.  It had very little streaking on the sides, minimal, if any, pink on breast (I have a hard time discerning light pink), and all white undertail coverts (got to look at this several times for a few minutes from 50 feet and for about 10 seconds at about 25 feet away on the wire railing on the edge of the feeding area).  I asked the other birders if they saw any streaking at all and they too could not see any.  It was much lighter than even the pale Common Redpolls (I could see streaking on most of these on the undertail coverts for the ones I was able to observe and streaking on the rump - there were several).  I saw the rump for only a flash and it appeared white without streaking, but I did not get a great view, just a flash.  The wingbars seemed much bigger and the area around the black bib very light, almost white (I did see this on some of the Commons).  The streaking on the sides was fairly minimal so I would believe it was a male, but there was some.  Unfortumately, none of us had a camera.  This bird was obvious compared to the others. I have only seen 1 Hoary Redpoll in my life and it too was obvious in the mass of Common Redpolls, even pale ones.  However, that is why I put the ?? because of my limited experience with redpolls and knowing that even Common Redpolls can be very pale. 
 
Something, a squirrel was most likely, spooked all the Redpolls, and they disappeared in the trees to the west.  I had to leave, but informed a few others (e.g. Nick K.) that one might be present.
 
Thomas Hall 
Livermore, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cobirds/-/2dwERQSPDBUJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment