Monday 24 December 2012

[cobirds] Chatfield- Iceland no, grebe yes

I made a quick trip down to Chatfield late this afternoon to try (again!) for the Iceland gull.  Gull numbers were very low (maybe a hundred total) and consisted of the usual suspects- ringers, CA's and herrings.  I guess Glen will keep reporting it on odd days and I'll keep missing it on even days.  Seems fair.....I guess......the red-necked grebe was there as a consolation prize.  It was right in front of the parking lot at the north marina.  There was also a large group of coots in a shrinking open pool out in the middle of the east end of the reservoir, surrounded by seven of their best bald eagle buddies.  The eagles weren't making any moves on the coots that I could see, but I know they like to take advantage of waterfowl trapped by expanding ice.  Considering that the coots could get up and fly at any time, this may or may not be a productive strategy, but I assume the eagles know what they're doing.
 
Anyway, the Iceland was not there tonight, but it'll probably there tomorrow, just to annoy me.
 
A Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
 
Norm
Norm Lewis
migrant44@aol.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment