Wednesday 26 December 2012

[cobirds] Jefferson County Birding


 Hi all,
 
I went up to Conifer with my, alas, non-birding family today (Dec. 26th).  It wasn't very birdy at high elevations, with a raven & Mountain Chickadee being the only species I saw, and a few more "usual suspects" (crows, magpies, a Red-tailed Hawk and Steller's Jay) lower down.  On the way back to Denver, however, I finagled a couple of all-too-brief visits to Red Rocks Park & Chatfield Reservoir.
 
It was about 11:00 when we got to Red Rocks and 15 minutes was about all I managed to get there.  I'd had visions of Rosy-Finch flocks dancing through my head, but nothing of that kind materialized. I think I must have seen the same two Gray-crowned Rosies Mike Henwood reported earlier, one each of "Hepburn's" & "interior" types.  I assumed I was too late in the morning, but after Mike's message concluded it simply wasn't meant to be today. I also had a great look at the Golden-crowned Sparrow.  There were quite a lot of birds, but nothing unusual or unreported recently. Unlike Norm Lewis, however, I *did* see a White-breasted Nuthatch.
 
It was just after 11:30 when I got to Chatfield.  Mostly scads of white-cheeked geese around the tiny bits of open water, along with several Bald Eagles on the ice & nearby trees.  I was grateful for their presence as they gave my non-birding companions something to look at. I did see both recently mentioned grebe species.  I was especially delighted with Red-necked Grebe, my sixth species of grebe for Colorado.  I did wonder if the Western Grebes' patch of open water was truly in Jefferson County, or whether that's Douglas--everything else I'm comfortable with calling Jefferson County birding. Any & all opinions welcomed!
 
Cheers,
 
Rob Parsons
Winnipeg, MB
CANADA
(but temporarily in unincorporated Arapahoe County for at least another 12 hours)

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment