Monday 31 December 2012

[cobirds] Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches - Jeffco

Birders,

It's been an interesting couple of days at the Casa Sanders bird feeders.  Yesterday we had the 2 Common Redpolls (yet to make an appearance today) and now there are 2 Hepburn's Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches on the ground under the feeders. 

When I went out to hang the feeders this morning, there were 2 birds in the new snow working on the thistle I had thrown out for the redpolls yesterday.  They wouldn't move to let me hang the feeders.  I stood there about 3 feet from the 2 Rosy-Finches and they kept eating.  I moved to hang the feeders and they finally moved off about 10 feet but as I was putting up the feeders and I was standing there, they flew back and practically landed on my feet.  I looked down at them and they looked up at me.  I walked away to get the other feeders and more sunflower for the 2 special visitors and they flew up to the Roadrunner sculpture a few feet away.  I brought them some more seed and hung the tray feeder with more sunflower in it.  I have some shots of them on the Roadrunner and a few moments later 1 was back on the ground and the other was pushing his way in to the flock of Redwings on the tray feeder.

Yep, a couple of interesting days.  It's been 24 years and 15 days since the last GC Rosy-Finch was seen in the yard and almost 4 years since the Black Rosy-Finch was here.

The feeders are quiet at the moment.  Must be a hawk around.

 

Ira Sanders

Golden, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment