Thursday 30 May 2024

[cobirds] Nighthawk, Flycatchers, Whip-poor-will recordings - Arapahoe

Apparently, all my best friends are insectivores.

From my Centennial yard, I heard my first of the year (in Colorado) Common Nighthawk on the evening of May 28 (around 8:15 PM). I usually spend dusk outside this time of year, waiting to hear and count them.

This morning, I biked the Little Dry Creek Trail and High Line Canal Trail in Centennial to count Western Flycatchers (who were in two locations) and look for the Eastern Phoebe pair (didn't encounter them). Last year, I encountered Westerns in 4 discrete locations along these trails.

Also along the High Line Canal Trail, singing Chipping Sparrows and a Dark-eyed Junco. Juncos may nest in the area, but I've never seen anything other than "late" birds and one very early and half-hearted sign of nest building.

If you're interested in hearing my Eastern Whip-poor-will recordings from my recent trip to Missouri (plus a little of my own interpretation of their call), you can do so in my recent blog post. Soonish, I'll also post about actually seeing the birds and eventually I'll post about watching them be banded.

Best,
- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate.
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/4614971e-5c5c-4deb-8bce-f8d9d94b5092n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment