Thursday 3 October 2019

[cobirds] Green-tailed Towhee & C. Nighthawk - Arapahoe

Two of my favorite birds remained in Centennial, at least through today. A Green-tailed Towhee has been in my yard for a week or so. A Common Nighthawk, meanwhile, headed south over E. Panama Dr / Streets of Southglenn near Arapahoe & University around dusk. It was low and seemed to come from somewhere local, rather than further north, but I might be misjudging that. This morning, in the same general area as the nighthawk, was a lone Turkey Vulture, another of my favorites.

The nighthawk sighting was especially well-timed (for me...can't say for the bird). As I casually birded deKoevend Park, I lamented that we so rarely know when our final, fall sightings of our favored birds will be. Then I recalled, several years ago, a late nighthawk sighting (October 10) that I had at the park, and how it was late enough that I knew that it would be goodbye for a time. Minutes later, the nighthawk. Late enough, once more, that I suspect that's it. I wished the bird well and lost it in the lights of traffic.  

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/eeef185c-878b-4b66-90ef-9a3f8a953ef1%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment