Sunday 27 October 2019

[cobirds] Late Burrowing Owl, Custer County

On Friday, Oct 25th I came across this owl on a fence line in a large pasture West of Westcliffe.  Because of the time of year and that there wasn't a prairie dog town for miles, I first thought Pygmy.  But then it turned its head and had no eyespots on the back of the head.  Also, the tail was quite short.  No rufous markings or strong facial disk like Saw Whet, and it had yellow eyes, so not Flam.  Also had the white chin of a Burrowing.  

As far as I can tell from ebird records, this is the latest sighting of one in Custer County. (Please let me know if someone thinks I ID'd it wrong.  Sorry the pictures are just from my cell phone.)

Mary Kay Waddington

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAA-Db7fmk6CBVVRTw-bggfGE5d%3DB9faaxaSwR4oNotKVRz8-aw%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment