Monday 28 October 2019

[cobirds] A fun time along the Platte river, Arapahoe County

I went to my usual patch along the South Platte River between Bowls and the begging of the Northern Wildlife Area. I found some rather nice and exiting patch first patch records for me. The first excitement was the large flock of American Pipits feeding in the river along the many river rocks, moving downstream and back up stream between the south end of Hudson Gardens and Reynodl's Landing Park. There was probably about 30 of them, but exact numbers where hard to come by with them flying all over the place. At the end of the walk I came across the most exciting first patch record, a lone Sandhill Crane circling over Cooley lake and gaining altitude quickly. It was by it's self, maybe separated from the main flock, and bugling constantly. I later saw a lot more cranes at Clement Park in Jefferson County, which gave me a more unobstructed view of the hogback. Along with the birds it was nice and cold, my preferred weather.
Good Birding,
Brian Johnson
Englewood CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/61f00ef6-fd6c-4ca1-84a0-af75d9992b0f%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment