Friday 25 October 2019

[cobirds] Eastern Wood-Pewee in Bent County

Birders,

Late this morning, I went to Hasty Campground, below the dam at John Martin Reservoir in Bent County. I spotted a Pewee near campsite 74 in the south central part of the campground. Aware that there are almost no records of Pewees in Colorado this late in October, I knew that I had to consider  multiple possibilities. Fortunately for me, it gave the thin "pee-a-wee" call diagnostic to Eastern Wood-Pewee. I called Norma Verhoeff, and she was able to see and photograph the bird shortly before noon. I spent much of the afternoon trying to relocate it with two other people, but we could not relocate it.

Other birds in the campground included Yellow-rumped Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Brown Creeper, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Eastern Bluebird and Wild Turkey. The Pewee seemed to associate with the other small land birds.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment