Friday 18 September 2015

[cobirds] American Three-toed Woodpecker and Sabine's Gull, El Paso County, 9/18

Hi, cobirders.
 
I had the good fortune to see two great birds today. Late this morning as the WIND died down at Big Johnson Reservoir, I finally saw the Sabine's Gull that has been reported there over the past week or two. Not a lot happening at Big Johnson, but I did not walk around to the east side, so...
 
This afternoon I decided to give another try for the Three-toed Woodpecker at Black Forest Regional Park, also here in El Paso County. I had walked out to the east edge of the park from the main playground/picnic area where others had seen it before. Nothing happening there, so I headed north along the main path on the east side. After several hundred yards I saw a bird with the typical woodpecker flight pattern, so I followed it only to find it was a Red-shafted Northern Flicker. At that point I ran into a young birder and his mother who are here from Oregon. He had just found the elusive (at least for me) Three-toed and got me on it. He is a home-schooled kid and a real delight. His mom said that was their eighth woodpecker species in Colorado. Thanks to Mark and Michele for their help!!
 
Good birding!
 
Mel Goff
Colorado Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment