Thursday 17 September 2015

[cobirds] A few recent birds - Ken Caryl Valley and Chatfield Sept 14-17

On Sept 14 a male Nashville Warbler was with a mixed Warbler flock (also Wilson's, Orange-crowned, Yellow, and Common Yellowthroat) at Massey Draw beside my home in Ken Caryl Valley. In my yard I also had a Rock Wren stop in at a rocky area in the front, a Townsend's Warbler, and the first Brown Creeper and Cedar Waxwings I've had near my home in quite a while. 

On Sept 15 I began at Chatfield SP near dawn, hoping for a Sabine's or some such. But not. The marina sand spit had a female American Redstart in the willow clumps out towards the tip. The Platte delta area had a Chimney Swift flying south through Barn Swallows, a Great Egret, and my first two American Wigeons in the park for this season. At these two stops the only shorebird I saw besides Killdeer was a Spotted Sandpiper at the marina tires.

Massey Draw near my home had an Olive-sided Flycatcher and lot's of Lincoln's Sparrows, and a Sage Thrasher visited my yard.

At Hine Lake in Robert A. Easton Regional Park I saw six Chimney Swifts flying south during 25 minutes amid many southbound Barn Swallows, and a nice count of 11 Swainson's Hawks included a little kettle of 9.

On Sept 16 I had my first Dark-eyed Juncos (Pink-sided) in the yard since early spring. 

Right now, Sept 17, a lovely Green-tailed Towhee is breakfasting at the front yard feeding station.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RoqTDaUuuFjOV90o2VyVTWsTT5YS8NXQ1PZm_PeAyR-QpA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment