Wednesday 25 October 2023

[cobirds] PACIFIC LOON • 10.25.23 • Prospect Lake, El Paso County, Colorado

IMG_3092ptBIRDS#VIII - Copy.jpgPACIFIC LOON • 10.25.23 • Prospect Lake, El Paso County, Colorado

I've found the Pacific Loon today. This Loon has been found at Prospect Lake since the 14th of October. I have always found this loon there in the six times that I've been out there. It has not been an easy bird to photograph. It would be a good bet for the use of a spotting scope as it's not all that far out. There has also been one reported at Big Johnson Reservoir/Bluestem Prairie. I've not even considered that much larger body of water. I didn't do too well with the Arctic Loon in early last May.

This not an easy bird to get.  First of all, Loons are often not the most photogenic subjects from the bird world. They spend a good portion of their day diving or submerging into the depths of the water body. Today I could see that this Loon caught something - perhaps some sort of invertebrate. I've been back to the lake about 6 times since October 14th. Most of the shots I took resulted in blurry images. I did some selective sharpening in post-processing.  That wasn't totally successful - I did manage to save a few of the better images after PP.

Today I decided to push the envelope quite a bit further. I upped the shutter speed quite a bit and also upped the ISO function quite a bit - this helped tremendously.

David Laliberte, Colorado Springs

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/a7e4c361-b0a5-4b37-b6a0-c87924e484fdn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment