Thursday 14 July 2022

[cobirds] Rufous Hummingbird - Arapahoe

On Monday (7/11), I had my earliest encounter with a Rufous Hummingbird in my six years living in Centennial in Arapahoe County. It was an adult male. I almost described him as a "striking" adult male, but that adjective is redundant for an adult male hummingbird and especially one of this species.

The bird was trilling about the yard, making a different sound than the Broad-tails. This got my attention, and I eventually found the bird seeming to hunt insects amid Siberian Elms and chokecherries. He briefly visited a penstemon (Penstemon rostriflorus) in my backyard. But he seemed more interested in the trees and shrubs. 

I tried for a photo, but he wouldn't tolerate me near him. Easier to move on to another yard, where he could hunt without someone following him around in the heat with a camera, I suppose.

Incidentally, I hadn't recorded a Rufous at my house since 2018. But I also haven't maintained hummingbird feeders since about then, either. (I'm not right now, too.) Perhaps a coincidence. Or perhaps I just haven't been outside at the right time. 

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/107a56ef-c2d5-4c60-816c-2bc6141d4004n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment