Tuesday 12 July 2022

[cobirds] Re: potential YELLOW RAIL, Monte Vista NWR, Rio Grande County

Will be headed there this evening. Stay tuned.
John Rawinski
Monte Vista CO

On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 9:24:51 AM UTC-6 Eric DeFonso wrote:
Hi all,

This morning I had an audio encounter with what I'm pretty sure is a YELLOW RAIL, at the Monte Vista NWR between about 645-730 this morning. I made several sound recordings and shared them with Nathan Pieplow, who agrees that this sounds like the real deal.

I personally have no prior experience with this species but the ticking sounds in the recordings I made are just like those that I've listened to over the years in a number of commercial collections showcasing them.

Below is the exact lat/lon where I was when I first encountered the bird. It was amidst the thick bulrushes initially, probably only 5-10 yards away. From that point it slowly made its way westward and southward deeper into the marsh. When I left the area around 730 it was still audible, but becoming fainter. My guess (or hope) is that it was "doing the rounds" so may come back around to the parking area where I first detected it at some point.

(37.487640, -106.136866)

Nathan suggests that a crepuscular or nocturnal visit to the refuge may be more successful in detecting the species in general, although as I mentioned I heard it in the 7am timeframe. Lots of other marsh birds in the area of course making listening a little challenging, like Marsh Wrens, Wilson's Snipes, American Coots, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Common Yellowthroats. Also Sora and Virginia Rails calling occasionally.

I know of only one previous record for this species in Colorado, from July 1906 at Barr Lake. I don't know if that was a specimen or not.

I will be in the Monte Vista area a few more hours before I have to leave. Feel free to contact me for more info, but hopefully this message helps.

Good birding,
Eric

-------
Eric DeFonso
near Lyons, Boulder County, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c1dbf151-b17d-4122-80cf-89de5078a60bn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment