Saturday 15 June 2019

[cobirds] Re: Sparrows everywhere! Boulder Community Gardens, Boulder County

Which gardens were you at?  Zamia, Jay, Cherry or Hawthorn? I'd give my eye teeth to get a pic of a bluebird - yours was great.  Thx - Marcia Wade

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 9:39:06 PM UTC-6, Richard Trinkner wrote:
Well, first I was excited by the Mallard.  I've been wanting a good photo of a mallard in my favorite patch, the Boulder Community Gardens.

But then, the sparrows!  

I've been birding the Boulder Community Gardens in urban North Boulder regularly for over 20 years, and until today, the most species I had ever seen in a day was 22. But this evening: 35 species!  And, did I mention the sparrows?

Sparrows! They were absolutely everywhere. I literally nearly stepped on some. The low clouds and intermittent rain dropped the weary migrants to the ground.  Everywhere I turned, a half dozen sprang from my feet: big ones, little ones, usual ones, exotic ones, old friends, and complete strangers.

I really couldn't count the Chipping Sparrows. There were at least 50, but if you told me there were, say, 200, I'd have believed you.  Keep in mind, these gardens are only about the size of a football field.

Sparrow species:

Chipping Sparrow (zillions)
Clay-colored Sparrow
Brewer's Sparrow
Lark Sparrow (5, first ever for the gardens)
Lark Bunting (1 female, first ever for the gardens)
White-crowned Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Green-tailed Towhee (3!, including one that absolutely strutted for photos, refusing to skulk with his brethren;  also first ever)
Spotted Towhee

And in between goggling at sparrows, I spotted Western Bluebirds, Cedar Waxwings, Orange-crowned Warblers, Yellow Warbler, and Yellow-rumped Warbler, Say's Phoebe, Dusky Flycatcher, and a host of the usual suspects.

Here's the checklist, with photos: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55985275

Cheers, and hello from the sparrows --

Richard Trinkner
Boulder

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/3b660b63-776f-4808-9a9f-3af89c728f45%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment