Saturday 15 June 2019

[cobirds] Gray Vireo nest in Otero County

Birders, 

I went to Picketwire Canyon in the Comanche National Grasslands in Otero County today. I drove to the Withers Canyon Trailhead in the Comanche National Grasslands from La Junta, and descended the steep trail into Withers Canyon. I was able to document a Gray Vireo nest, a probable first documented nest of the species in Otero County. I am purposely not giving more precise directions to the nest. COBBA II found this rare species in only 8 priority blocks in SE Colorado, with no nest confirmations, indicating the local rarity of this species. More surprising to me, I had two additional Gray Vireos in Withers Canyon, including one very close to the trailhead. I had not encountered the species here before, although I've seen them upstream along the Purgatoire River on private property. If birders go there, I need to emphasize that vocal playback should not be used on this very localized and sensitive species.

At the junction of Withers and Picketwire Canyons, there is a sign indicating the trailhead is 0.9 miles, and distances are given to the Spanish Cemetery, Dinosaur Tracks and Roarke Ranch. Within 100 feet of this sign, I had a pair of Black-throated Sparrows, rare and local here. More common Canyon Country specialties were present, including Rufous-crowned Sparrow.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment