Friday 14 June 2019

[cobirds] Cedar waxwings

I just saw three cedar waxwings at Hecla Lake (6/13).  Two adults and a juvenile were in a half-dead tree on east end of lake.  The juvenile is the first one I saw, and I thought it was an adult until another, bigger waxwing flew into the tree and started feeding it, soon joined by another adult.  Much to my delight I got pictures - I've been looking for those birds since I first saw them here two years ago at my feeders.  Also at Hecla tonight, the great blue heron pair is now sitting on eggs.  Isn't it a little late for them to just be starting a family??  Their nest is on a platform on a small island in the lake, and for some reason there also is a big white egg on the gravel at the west end of the island.  It cannot be the GBHs' unless the female flew down and laid it there (and I think it's too big, too) - it cannot have fallen there b/c it's too far away from platform.  The only thing I can think of is one of the pelicans is having another shot at it (they abandoned 6 eggs nearby earlier this season).  I hope the GBHs succeed in raising their brood - the bald eagles here have been wreaking havoc on the smaller birds' nests, and I understand they will attack GBHs; recently two were observed ripping a red winged blackbird nest out of a tree onto the gound and eating and/or flying away with the nestlings.  

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5e51cc5e-1a76-4dcc-a2b4-14fc08115e18%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment