Saturday 31 October 2015

[cobirds] Sapsucker ID Help (Once Again) - Cheesman (Denver)

For the third time this year, I'm seeking help ID'ing a  Cheesman sapsucker. This time, I don't have photos, as I encountered the bird while walking my dog this morning at the park. The bird moved between a small juniper and several large deciduous trees on the park's western edge. It perched, more than once, on open, well-lit perches at eye level, affording good looks. (The looks would have been better if my dog hadn't been tugging at its leash; all that tugging explains why I had my binoculars, but not my camera.) 

The bird was a juvenile. I have no experience with juvenile of either species and, so, did not know if there were any marks to pay close attention to. What I noticed, though, was a sapsucker with messy barring across the back; a bit of barring at the very bottom of the back was noticeably brighter than most of the barring above it. The bird had a brownish, dingy colored head. I did not see red on either the bird's nape or throat. The throat was by no means clean white, but it seemed brighter white than the supercillum. A brownish breast gave way to a light belly. 

I've read that juvenile Red-naped Sapsucker generally molt in October and will begin to look more like the adults. This bird did not give me that impression. But I don't know if that's enough to help things along with the ID. 

Feel free to share thoughts on or off list.

Thanks,

Jared Del Rosso
Denver, CO
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/61900616-9cad-47a8-876e-ccbb10df303f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment