Thursday 22 October 2015

[cobirds] Common mergansers, Chatfield reservoir, Douglas County

I'm not really sure what county Chatfield is...
I went to Chatfield today after work to check it out. I didn't see the comment turn that was mentioned in a previous post.

The only birds on the sandspit were pelicans, double crested Cormorants and gulls. I'll mention now that I don't really know a lot about gulls and didn't spend much time trying to figure out if any of them were unusual and not just ring billed.
There are no rarities noted below but the visit sure took my mind off nursing…


The birds I saw (with general guesses at their numbers), were:
White pelicans: >40
double crested cormorants : 35
Common mergansers: a raft of >200!
Coots: 30
Western grebes: 40
Possible rednecked grebe: 1
Killdeer: 1
Bald eagle: 1
Mallards: 7
Starlings: a flock of 50
Redwinged blackbird: 2
Magpies: 30 – there were 8 chasing a Cooper's hawk.
Redtail hawk: 1
Ring billed gulls: plenty

Deb Carstensen, Littleton, Arapaho county

Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CF48CAE7-2DC3-4607-9071-061A8AD2AC3C%40aol.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment