Sunday 25 October 2015

[cobirds] Arvada Hummers?

I am receiving questions about the ID, I dunno.  This morning I observed a hummer that was clean white through the throat, chest and belly, football shaped, short billed, white behind and over the eye, and the primaries and tail even in length.  It was briefly on a feeder and then sat in the top of a tree where I observed with bino's for about 2 minutes.  I reported to Cobirds and watched for the next hour without any luck, except for one brief feeder visit that was a female/juv broad-tailed.  Then I refreshed the feeders because the stuff that was in there was at least 3 weeks old and full of nasty.  Bill Kempfer and John Vanderpool came by mid-day and observed a hummer and got photos.  When they left John was leaning towards Ruby-throated and said he would like to study his photos.  I really did not observe the bird while they were here.  I did errands and started observing again from 4-6pm, one time a second hummer chased the afternoon hummer off the feeder.  I believe the bird this afternoon was different than the bird I saw once in the morning.  The afternoon hummer was still white through throat chest and belly but had a thin gray line between throat and chest, slender shaped, longer billed, white patch only behind the eye, and the tail extended beyond the primaries.  If anyone wants to look I have a public equestrian trail behind the house, 16475 W 62nd Lane, Arvada.
 
Have fun
Curt Campbell
Arvada

No comments:

Post a Comment