Tuesday 23 October 2012

[cobirds] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Arap County

Hi, birders,

 

Having just returned from the ABA Rally in Virginia, imagine my surprise to see a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker juvenile on the small cottonwood in my back yard near Colo Blvd and Country Line Road in Centennial, Arap County. Scott and I spent some time deciding if it  could possibly be a Red-naped Sapsucker but it was lighter and smudgier (except for the distinct white wing strip). It had a yellow wash on the chest and belly. It has a good-sized bill. Not having a photo, I wasn't going to post, but then I saw there were other reports of this bird in October. It was seen today, 10/23/2012, at 9:00 am. Certainly a new yard bird for us.

 
Carol Blackard
(303) 740-6072
carol-blackard@comcast.net
www.carolblackardphotography.com



Carol Blackard
(303) 740-6072
carol-blackard@comcast.net
www.carolblackardphotography.com


No comments:

Post a Comment