Tuesday 23 October 2012

[cobirds] Life bird question

Hi All,
As some of you know, I have been trapping and banding owls for many years. The other evening an infesting question came up about life birds and banding.
 
Last year a friend from Indiana came to my banding site to see a Boreal Owl. We did catch a Boreal that night and he did see it, but only after I took it from the net and brought it into the room to be processed. He said that he couldn't count the bird until I released it. That seemed stupid to me.
 
I know there is something about not being able to count a bird in a mist net or other restraint, but my question has always been... How did the bird get into the net?  It sure wasn't placed there by some one, it flew into the net on it's own free will.
 
Furthermore, for example... what if someone catches the Nelson's Sparrow that is here in Colorado. Does that mean that anyone who sees that bird after it has been restrained and banded can't count it as a life bird because it was restrained at one point? How long after a bird is captured, banded and released can a person count the bird on their life list?
 
 Also, if a bird has been rehabilitated and released...how long after it has been released can someone count it on their life list?
 
Just curious.
 
Scott Rashid
Estes Park
 

No comments:

Post a Comment