Monday 22 October 2012

[cobirds] LeConte's Sparrow at Chico Basin Ranch

Birders,

I was one of a minimum of seven birders that got great looks at the
Nelson's Sparrow on the east side of Upper Twin Lake at Chico Basin
Ranch today. I would like to personally commend Bill Maynard for his
tireless efforts to help birders locate and see this bird with a minimum
of disruption to the bird and it's habitat.

On my way back to my vehicle, I stopped to look for the LeConte's
Sparrow previously reported from an area of tall rushes southwest of the
dam at the upper lake. I saw the LeConte's Sparrow fly out of the
shorter sedges, and land in the tall rushes just to the south of the wet
area at the west end of the dam. I got great looks for almost a minute
before it disappeared deeper into the rushes. The two people with me
narrowly missed seeing the bird before I had to leave. I hope they got
it after I left. I am updating this report mainly to confirm that the
LeConte's Sparrow was still present on 10/22.

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent Co. CO


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment