Friday 26 October 2012

[cobirds] A second Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk in Canon City

Today I spotted a Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk in Canon City.  As rare as Harlan's are here, it would seem more likely that this would be the same bird as I found several days ago.  However today's bird is more an intermediate morph while the earlier bird looked like a dark morph.  This one has a white breast with dark streaking and white on it's underwing coverts.  The photos of the bird I saw several days ago does not show any white in these areas and I did not see any in the field.  Maybe all the strong winds we have had recently brought 2 Harlan's to Canon City this week.

I have posted several photos of today's Harlan's Hawk on my Birds and Nature blog.  I also have a photo of the two Snow Geese I photographed here two days ago (not seen again today) and right below that post is a really cool video clip of orphaned walruses that are just way too cute and cuddly. 

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @ http://birdsandbloomsblog.com/author/seetta-moss/
Personal blog @ BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment