Saturday 25 September 2021

[cobirds] Ken Caryl Birds in the last 24 hours

I was out walking in the dark early this morning. It was kind of like the Patsy Cline song about walking after midnight in that there was a bright moon for me, too. It helped to light my way up the trails near my Ken Caryl Valley home, as I made it up into the forests of Massey Draw in the private Ken Caryl Ranch open space, where my headlamp had to fill in for the moon under the trees. I saw a small owl flush ahead of me as I was going up the steep canyon trail and I was able to find it later perched on a broken limb near the main trunk of a Douglas-fir - an adult Saw-whet Owl! They are not so easy to find now, in my experience, so I was pleased with the surprise.

Further towards dawn, and now down along open foothill slopes, I heard a Common Poorwill. We are right near the end of their warm-season stay here; my latest in the area was Sept 29. 

Birding after sunrise produced a Tennessee Warbler seen nicely with an Orange-crowned.  

A Merlin flew by near my home last evening after sunset. I only seldom see one at Ken Caryl.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RoqFUD3O1ZBGWUxaqAN_2iYYJVhyuGNnGZDghaerJ8TvPw%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment