Wednesday 29 September 2021

[cobirds] Crow Valley Campground today (9/29)

It was very windy today at Crow Valley.  As has been the case this fall almost everywhere, bird numbers seemed low.  I found one little pocket of migrants along the dry creekbed sw of the Picnic Pavilion and a few more in the far southwest corner.  Fair number of campers.  Host told me he will be there until November 15, which is when they will close the gate up by CR77.

Best birds today were two bright Townsend's Warblers, a half dozen or so White-throated Sparrows, several Wilson's Warblers, a few Orange-crowned Warblers, a few Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Hermit Thrush, one or two Ruby-crowned Kinglets and a few Gambel's White-crowned Sparrows.  I had 13 species.  I seem to recall visits about this date in the past with 40-50 species.

I did not go to the outback of "Mourning Dove Trail" n of the group area in the northwest corner, nor did I visit Briggsdale.  The wind was pretty prohibitive.

My guess as to the age of the Townsend's Warbler(s) was either 1st fall male or adult female fall.  

      

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment