Monday 10 May 2021

[cobirds] 20 Red-necked phalaropes, Lagerman Res Boulder Co.

All:

Decided to brave the wind and rain this afternoon and headed out to Lagerman Res to see if I could observe the Dunlin.  Score one for a rarity in CO, as despite the scope shaking in the wind, I got some nice views. 

About 20 min into my foray (because darn it, if I'm going out in the nasty weather, I'm going to make it worth my while!), I popped my head up and saw a large group (50+) of Phalaropes next to the fence that extends into the water.  Lo and behold, I counted 20 Red-necked phalaropes, mixed in with about 30 Wilsons.  It was quite nice to compare them in a mixed flock.  And no, the camera was safe and dry in my car.....

Watched the for a few minutes, then they all took off to west, weaving and bobbing in the wind.  Wouldn't think they will leave the area tonight, maybe they'll show back up tomorrow.

Side note:  about a month ago, the lone RNPH out there triggered the e-bird rarity alert, it didn't even blink with the species or count today  The 30 WIPH's did on the number though....

Jay Hutchins
Longmont, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/717edfbe-c5b5-44f0-a1b4-bcf0f6045147n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment