Saturday 28 October 2017

[cobirds] Mtn birds, Colo Spgs, El Paso Co, Sat.

Hey COBirders,

I've been seeing the reports of unusual numbers of mountain species along the Front Range, but hadn't thought too much about it until this morning.

I closed down banding at Clear Spring Ranch the other day, and have resumed banding backyard juncos at my home in NW Colo Spgs. I usually have a family of Mountain Chickadees around (they sometimes nest in the yard), so it was no big deal to see some at the feeders. But I have caught 11 in the last day, and there are more unbanded ones around. Most have been hatch year birds.

I usually get a Steller's Jay here a couple of times a winter. They come down from the burn scar area to our yard 1/2 mile away occasionally. But this week I have seen a couple in the yard every day, and this morning, three.

Lastly I only see a few Cassin's Finch in my yard each winter, and not even every winter (except a couple years ago I banded 90 in my yard in a month!). I banded an adult male CAFI this morning, too. That's three species of birds I usually get, but not always in the same winter, and never all at the same time!

Have a birdy weekend,

Steve Brown
Colo Spgs, Mountain Shadows neighborhood

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5235F95E-0A6E-41B4-A2A2-1486052688BF%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment