Friday 25 January 2013

Re: [cobirds] glaucous-winged gull at Teller 5, Boulder

I believe I saw this same bird this afternoon.  I will disagree with Paul and David about this bird, but only because I can't identify it as either of their possibilities.  The bird David Dowell photographed is very light like the one I saw.  There isn't another gull for good size comparison, but the bird I saw this afternoon was SMALLER than the 3rd cycle Herring Gull near it.  Now, it is possible that the bird I saw was different than the one David saw, so please keep that in mind.  Because of that, I will describe the bird I saw.

My description: I found this bird because of its *exceptionally* pale primaries.  It was facing away initially, so I didn't get much of a look at the head and back.  Light dull pink legs, lighter than Herrings around.  My initial look without knowing the size made me think Iceland Gull because it was so light (especially in the primaries), but that was squelched after I saw the bird in profile and the head was more Herring-like than Thayer's/Iceland.  Beak was black as viewed with binoculars, but with a scope, the beak was definitely slightly pink at the base seemingly more so on the mandible than the maxilla and extending ever so slightly down the beak toward the tip.  Beak seemed longer than Herring without much of a gonydeal angle from what I could tell, but I don't give that much credence from my views.  I didn't get the impression that David had of the large chest of the bird.  The bird seemed more Thayer's-shaped in the body than Herring or larger-gull shaped.  The patterning on the bird's body was much lighter and finer than on any of the other first cycle birds around.  I never got a good look at the open tail.

I mentioned that I disagreed with both Paul and David.  I only disagree because of the size comparison I had.  If it were either a Glaucous-winged or the hybrid Paul suggested, it should still be bigger or the same size as a Herring Gull, not smaller.  I can't place this bird yet, but am open to suggestions.  Currently I am recording "medium to large gull sp."  Does someone want to help school me in this gull?

Bill Kaempfer or John Vanderpoel, is this the same bird you were seeing that you called a Glaucous-winged Gull?

If you missed it, here are the photos:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12716613

 
Bryan Guarente
Instructional Designer
The COMET Program
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
Boulder, CO


From: Paul Hurtado <paul.j.hurtado@gmail.com>
To: CObirds <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [cobirds] glaucous-winged gull at Teller 5, Boulder

Assuming it is the same bird, I can't help but wonder if the bird shown in the photos here isn't a Glaucous-winged X Glaucous hybrid? 

   http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12716613

Overall it looks pretty pale, has some pink showing through on the basal 2/3 of the bill, and has fairly well marked upper parts, i.e., the mantle and upperwing feathers look like they're showing a lot of pale with darker internal markings, very reminiscent of Glaucous Gull. 

Thoughts?

Paul Hurtado
Columbus, OH (& Pueblo, CO)

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM, William H Kaempfer <William.Kaempfer@colorado.edu> wrote:
John Vanderpoel and I observed a first cycle Glaucous-winged Gull this morning at Teller Lake #5 in Boulder (off Valmont near 95th St.) 
 
Teller 5 is excellent for gulls right now and worth a visit (even if that %@#$ Golden-crowned Sparrow can't be found).  The lake dried out this past fall leaving a harvest of dead fish, mainly huge catfish, I think, in the frozen mud toward the east end of the reservoir.  This attracts a group of about 100 gulls during the day. There are two noteworthy things about this collection of gulls.  First since they are feeding on dead fish the flock is mainly large, pink-legged gulls.  I would say that only 25% are Ring-billed Gulls which is unheard of in Colorado for a group of 100+ gulls.  Second, because they are feeding, one can get quite close to them (within 100 yards) and have excellent views.  This group has had multiple Thayer's plus Lesser Black-backed, Great Black-backed and now Glaucous-winged in the past week.  Interestingly, all of these good birds have been first (or second) cycle.
 
Here is my (probably lame) description of the Glaucous-winged from eBird: Large first cycle gull. Overall larger than nearby 1st cycle Thayer's. Uniform pale tan overall with wingtips not differentiated from overall color of the bird. Large all black bill.
 
Bill Kaempfer
Boulder
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 



--
Paul J. Hurtado
Postdoctoral Fellow, The Ohio State University
Mathematical Biosciences Institute, http://mbi.osu.edu/
Aquatic Ecology Laboratory, http://ael.osu.edu/

E-mail: hurtado.10@mbi.osu.edu
Webpage: http://people.mbi.ohio-state.edu/hurtado.10 --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment