Wednesday 23 January 2013

[cobirds] Redpolls at the Farm and surroundings/Larimer

This morning I hopped on my bike to run some errands and 3 blocks away I came across a flock of about 50 Common Redpolls at the Fort Collins City Farm.  They were flying north east and perched in White Poplar trees.  I proceeded to the Museum of Discovery and counted around 106 Common Redpolls.  They weren't skittish probably due to the absence of raptors in the area.  After scanning the flocks I found a very good candidate for Hoary Redpoll.  This individual was about 12 feet away had pale scapulars, white undertail coverts with no streaking and fine streaking on the sides.  A few minutes later  I ran into Cole Wild and we saw at least 2 other possible Hoary Redpolls but they were further away, however these individuals had white undertail coverts with little to no streaking and fine sparse streaking on the flanks.  Total observation time was about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

On a side note I finally put some seed in my feeder at home and had one Common Redpoll and a Cassin's Finch.

Good Birding
Rob Sparks
Old Town Fort Collins

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cobirds/-/NmgNoEVpwisJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment