Wednesday 28 November 2012

[cobirds] Boulder stub-tailed wrens

Yesterday, Loch Kilpatrick found a Winter Wren along the south side of Boulder Creek upstream from 75th.  It was near the the overhead pipe where we also saw the Rusty Blackbird.  Loch and a few others saw the wren, but I did not since I was on the wrong side of a big tree stump.  I didn't report it yesterday because I thought Loch or someone else would.
  Today about 3 p.m. I found a stub-tailed wren at the southeast side of the bridge at N. 63rd and St. Vrain Creek.  It called several times.  When I got back to the car, I played recordings of Pacific and Winter.  I thought the bird sounded more like Pacific, but I don't really think I have the auditory skills to tell the difference.  That being said, I believe the bird was doing "alarm chatter" which according to Sibley's website is not a good call to differentiate the species.  I think it was doing its alarm chatter because I was marking its territory after too much coffee.  I didn't have my camera with me, but the bird appeared darker than any Winter Wrens I've seen in Colorado before.  The throat was paler than the breast.  After studying Sibley's website, I am reminded once again of what a difficult ID this is, and which may always be beyond my capability.  I suspect this bird is likely a Winter Wren, but I just wanted to pass on this information in case anyone wants to try to check it out for Pacific.
David Waltman
Boulder
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment