Friday 30 November 2012

[cobirds] At home today- Dickcissal female

Hi Cobirders. While watching the news at 12:15PM I saw a bird fly
into the front yard and then up into the young Locust tree in front
of the window. What is that?
It was about 6" Pale colored . with gray face and gray about the
head. Top of head was much darker. Bill was gray also. The throat
was tinged with yellow.
breast pale too, possible thin streaking was worn off or not
noticeable because of plastic covering the window. I got a couple
minutes look as it moved just to the left.

I had my larger Sibley at my right elbow so looked for it right after
it flew across the street into an evergreen and disappeared.

I settled on Dickcissal fall female which fit very well. I had seen
one fall male several years ago along the Arkansas valley. Sure was
different from breeding
plumage. They are know to move west many to California.

And more I saw on the thistle feeder a very purple finch with a very
white lower belly. The scope was here but not set up so that look
awhile as well as
getting the camera and getting that on the digiscope platform.
Finally I got it together and everything in focus and there were 5
Goldfinches. I sure hope
that purple guy comes back. Now there is a Common Grackle there.
It has learned to contort itself around back reach down and get few
seeds.
It went and replace by 2 birds.
Have to get to the store.

Bye

Bob Spencer N.E. of Golden


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment