Saturday 24 April 2021

Re: [cobirds] Woodpecker drumming

Diana and David,

Thanks so much.  I think that, tomorrow (assuming I hear it again), I'll record it. And then I can slow it down and count the beats.  At my age, I can't distinguish between 16 and 23 beats/sec. ;-)

I have a bunch of vocal flickers around, so I imagine it was one of them.  But there are some Downys in my 'hood as well—I just hear the less frequently.

Gary Brower
Unincorporated Arapahoe County



On Apr 24, 2021, at 9:16 AM, Diana Beatty <otowi33.33@gmail.com> wrote:

Downy's drums averagesabout 16 beats/sec and Flickers is more like 23 beats/sec.  Hairy is about 25 beats/sec.  My personal experience is that Downy waits longer between consecutive drums, on average.  You may also want to listen for the other sounds of Downy and Flicker.  Flickers, in my opinion, are relatively vocal birds that if they're around you'll hear them at some point in most days just going about your business in that location.  Maybe some others have some better tips than me.

Diana Beatty
El Paso County

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 6:23 AM Gary Brower <grb4914@gmail.com> wrote:
Good morning, birders!

I'm sitting on my deck this morning, and listening to a woodpecker drum. I suspect it's either a Flicker or a Downy, but it's much too far away to see.

Is there a distinctive drum for either of these birds?

Thanks!

Gary Brower
Unincorporated Arapahoe County

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/855C5533-9128-41F9-ACEB-BD1466B11C64%40gmail.com.


--

******

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.




No comments:

Post a Comment