Saturday 26 September 2020

[cobirds] Re: ID?

Appears to be a Swainson's Thrush, which belongs to the same family as Robins here in America do. The other one of these that you will run into more commonly is the Hermit Thrush which can be distinguished from Swainson's by its rust-colored tail. 

Hope that is helpful! 

Happy birding, 

Steve Rash
Denver Co. 

On Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 11:30:29 AM UTC-6 amyrob...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm totally new at this, so maybe I should be able to ID this. But using my app and my books… I'm not having much luck beyond some kind of sparrow?

Some further info: it's been hanging out deep in the evergreen tree. It perched on the fence once, long enough for me to see that it's about robin-sized. I didn't get any pictures of its body, but it's uniformly drab/buff color. No distinctive stripes on or around wings. This is part of what's throwing me off. All the birds in my books seem to have much more striping or color variation on their body and/or wings. Haven't managed to get a good look at it in flight. (Sorry I couldn't get a picture of its body!)

Thanks!! 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/b55b8bb0-0816-4cd8-bec6-ef711d53b504n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment