Thursday 30 April 2020

[cobirds] Cottonwood Marsh (Boulder Co) ibis

The ibis I previously reported at Cottonwood Marsh is either a Glossy x White-faced Ibis hybrid or a White-faced Ibis that has not completed molt into its alternate plumage. The facial skin lacks the white fringe that is typical of White-faced Ibis. That initially threw me off as well as the birder who pointed the bird out to me. 

However, the iris is red as are the legs which are indicative of White-faced. The facial skin appears gray in some photos, though it looks more pinkish in others. Gray facial skin would suggest Glossy Ibis; pink would suggest White-faced. 

I'm attaching a link to the eBird report https://ebird.org/checklist/S68149914 which includes photos. I'd be interested in opinions. 

Chuck Hundertmark
Lafayette, CO




No comments:

Post a Comment