Wednesday 29 April 2020

[cobirds] Cedar Waxwing flocks-Aurora/Arapahoe County. AMGO courtship behavior

Flocks of Cedar Waxwings (30-50 birds at a time, and a new yard bird for me) have been at my water fountains for the past three days. Not sure if others at lower elevations are also seeing them, but I wonder if it's related to "winter burn" in damaged pine and spruce trees elsewhere?

Other new yard birds are a Green-tailed Towhee And a Great-tailed Grackle this AM. They headed towards Horseshoe Park. I get trees full of Common Grackles, but this was the first Great-tailed Grackle.

Interesting "courtship" behavior with a male American Goldfinch. He bullies the grackles away, stands on top of a large water fountain and waits for females. Thus far I have observed up to six different females come in shortly thereafter. Seems today it's down to one female…..he chases the others away and lets the one have a drink.

Good birding,
Allison Hilf
Aurora, CO

Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/E85F5A40-D920-45AB-82EF-DFE4C485E9A1%40me.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment