Thursday 30 April 2020

[cobirds] central Bldr Cnty: FOS Bu Oriole in my window

I looked up from sewing masks this morning to see a bright orange male peering back at me through the window. Cheerful sight!

On a local survey earlier this morning, it was good to hear prairie melodies on all sides: Horned Larks, Vesper Sparrows, meadowlarks of course, winnowing Snipe, Say's Phoebes, House Wrens, etc. Alas, no sign of those curlews & godwits that you others have been seeing in large numbers. 

However, I did spot one of my goals: an uncommon (for hereabouts) Burrowing Owl eating some kind of rather large prey. I could not see what was at its feet, but after watching it do the "pull up the socks" manoeuvre multiple times, I eventually realized it was tearing apart something bigger than a bug!

Linda


I acknowledge that I live in the territory of Hinóno'éí (Arapaho), Cheyenne and Ute Nations, according to the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie, and that Colorado's Front Range is home to many Native peoples. Reconozco que vivo en el territorio de las naciones Hinóno'éí (Arapaho), Cheyenne y Ute, según el 1851 Tratado de Fort Laramie, y que el estado de Colorado al esté de las Montañas Rocosas es territorio de muchos pueblos indígenas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment