Friday 27 February 2015

RE: [cobirds] Boulder surprising hawk kill

COBirders,

One late spring a few years ago at our cabin in western Custer County (9,200 ft.) I witnessed an interesting episode involving a young Sharp-shinned Hawk.  I was watching a group of small passerines on my platform feeder when I saw them scatter in a panic.  I noticed a sharpie had just landed on a fence post close by.  After a while he (probable gender) left, and three Steller's Jays came to the feeder.  The sharpie returned to the post.  The jays didn't fly off but were very nervous, jumping and flitting around.  The hawk made a couple of feints and the jays left reluctantly.  With no prey in sight, the Sharpie left again.  A couple of hours later there were several Band-tailed Pigeons feeding when the hawk showed up again on the fence post.  The pigeons completely ignored the accipiter which, even though inexperienced, decided against any try at prey whose 13 ounces outweighed his five or less.  He left for the third time, not to return at least to my knowledge.

Leon Bright, Pueblo

No comments:

Post a Comment